Dental Bridges in National City, CA
Are you missing one or more teeth? Tooth loss is a common problem that can harm your physical and emotional health and lead to difficulty eating and speaking. Dental bridges are a great treatment option for missing teeth. If you live in National City, CA, visit Rachelle T. Flores, DMD Cosmetic & Family Dentistry to learn about your treatment options.
What Are Dental Bridges?
A dental bridge restores the beauty and function of your smile by replacing one or more missing teeth. A traditional bridge is made of two crowns with one or more false teeth in the middle. The two crowns are placed over the teeth next to the empty space, and the false teeth are attached to them.
When Do I Need a Dental Bridge?
If you are missing any teeth, you may wonder if a dental bridge is right for you. Several factors will play a role in deciding if a dental bridge is the right choice for you. We consider the number of missing teeth, the location of the missing teeth, the health of the surrounding teeth, and your bite.
Dental decay, periodontal disease, and trauma are the most common reasons for tooth loss. Additionally, some individuals are born with conditions that cause congenital tooth loss. To place a dental bridge, you must have healthy teeth adjacent to the empty spaces.
Types of Dental Bridges
There are four basic types of dental bridges:
- Traditional bridges use two anchor teeth on either side of the missing tooth to support the replacement tooth and are usually made of porcelain fused to metal.
- Cantilever bridges are less common than other types of bridges. They are supported by only one abutment tooth and are best for replacing a missing tooth towards the front of the mouth.
- Maryland bridges use a metal or porcelain framework instead of dental crowns as anchors. This framework eliminates the need for modification of the adjacent teeth and is adhered to the back instead.
- Implant-supported dental bridges are just like traditional bridges, but they're anchored in place by dental implants. This means they don't require support from adjacent teeth, making them ideal for spanning large gaps with multiple missing teeth.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges are a common and effective way to replace missing teeth. There are many benefits of dental bridges, including the following:
- They revive your smile and improve your appearance.
- They help preserve the natural shape of your face.
- They prevent your remaining teeth from shifting out of place.
- They restore your ability to chew and speak properly.
How Long Will a Dental Bridge Last?
Bridges are usually quite strong and can last for many years, but a few factors can affect their lifespan. The main factor affecting how long your bridge will last is how well you take care of it. Brushing and flossing twice a day is vital to maintain good oral health, and will also help extend the life of your dental bridge. It's also important to see us for regular checkups and cleanings, as we will be able to spot any potential problems early on.
Where Can I Get Dental Bridges Near Me?
Schedule your dental bridges in National City, CA, today! At Rachelle T. Flores, DMD Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, we are proud to offer comprehensive treatment options for our patients who are missing one or more teeth. To schedule a consultation, call us at 619-234-6349 or complete our online form.