Tooth Scaling and Root Planing in La Mesa, CA
Gum disease is a dental problem that affects many people, but procedures like scaling and root planing can effectively treat it. The team at Rachelle T. Flores, DMD Cosmetic & Family Dentistry is passionate about your gum health, and we're here to help you get the treatment you need in La Mesa, CA.
What Is Scaling and Root Planing?
Scaling and root planing is a nonsurgical dental procedure to treat periodontal disease. During this deep cleaning treatment, we use special instruments to remove plaque and tartar above and below the gum line.
Why Do You Need Scaling and Root Planing?
Gum tissue should be firmly attached to teeth. If you have periodontitis, the tissue around your teeth's gumline is inflamed and beginning to recede, potentially causing your teeth to loosen and fall out. However, if you catch it early enough, scaling and root planing can help prevent tooth loss by removing the bacteria causing your gum disease, allowing your gum tissue to reattach to your teeth.
What Are the Benefits of Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing?
The main benefit of scaling and root planing is preventing gum disease from progressing and causing tooth loss.
Other benefits include:
- Alleviating the discomfort of tender and sensitive gums.
- Enhancing your appearance because your gums will be less red and swollen and will no longer have deep pockets.
- Reducing the chance of tooth decay by removing the bacteria that causes it.
- Boosting overall health by reducing your risk of developing other conditions linked to gum disease like diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and stroke.
What Do Scaling and Root Planing Treatments Involve?
After numbing the area with a local anesthetic, we will start by scaling the teeth and removing plaque and tartar with an electric ultrasonic scaler to remove the buildup quickly and efficiently. We also use curved manual instruments called scalers and curettes to remove any remaining debris from the spaces between the teeth and gums. Next, root planing removes bacteria and tartar from below the gums and smooths out the root surfaces of the teeth. This prevents plaque and tartar from building up again and allows gum tissue to reattach to your teeth.
Periodontal Scaling and Root Planing Aftercare Tips
It's essential to take care of your teeth and gums after undergoing periodontal scaling and root planing. This type of dental procedure can leave your teeth and gums feeling sensitive, so be sure to follow our aftercare instructions. Here are some tips to help you care for your teeth and gums after having scaling and root planing:
- Brush your teeth lightly with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Use toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
- Floss your teeth gently or use a water flosser.
- Avoid drinking beverages that are very hot or very cold.
- Eat soft foods for a few days.
- Avoid using tobacco products.
- Come in for regular appointments so that we can monitor your gum health and provide additional treatments as needed.
Where Can I Get Scaling and Root Planing Near Me?
Schedule your scaling and root planing treatment in La Mesa, CA, today! Periodontal disease can have serious implications if it's left untreated. At Rachelle T. Flores, DMD Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, we're dedicated to providing our patients with the best possible care. To book your appointment, call us at 619-234-6349 or complete our online form.